New P25 Systems?

unixpunk

New P25 Systems?

Post by unixpunk » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:28 am

This is an interesting project! I'm interested in contributing audio for the IL state-wide P25 system known as STARCOM21. http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.ph ... e_Illinois

Let me know how I might go about this and what req's there would be.

f0urtyfive
Site Admin

Re: New P25 Systems?

Post by f0urtyfive » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:19 pm

While I'd really like to go in the direction of allowing all user submitted content, unfortunately that would require significant amounts of infrastructure to support the quantity of data. From a technical standpoint this is a fairly easy problem to solve, but from a cost standpoint I can't afford to add any more data until we can figure out how to pay for the current infrastructure.

Right now the RadioCapture Patreon has 2 users that contribute $23, and the current monthly costs are $218 (this increases a little bit each month, as more data gets added to object storage).

To be honest, I'm not really sure where to go from here, as nothing seems to help send the message that all that's needed to build a national version of RadioCapture that can accept data from anyone (and have normal features to do so, rather than me configuring stuff by hand in the database) is more funding for infrastructure.

I was hoping the community would be interested in supporting the service to fruition but that doesn't seem to be the case so I expect RadioCapture will live for a few more months, and if no further community support coalesces (or some sort of outside funding source) it will be shut down.

I know some people will think that's unreasonable or greedy, but I've put about $25,000-$30,000 of my own money (and a lot more than that in my time) into RadioCapture and I just can't continue doing that endlessly, I need to focus my time on projects that can be successful. I was hopeful that getting more people interested would find more contributions in the Patreon, but there hasn't been one, so at this point I'm not very hopeful of RC surviving.

f0urtyfive
Site Admin

Post by f0urtyfive » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:57 pm

Replying to myself to add, if anyone wants to "sponsor" infrastructure for a specific system or geo-area, I'd be happy to work with you via Patreon.

erikconerty

Post by erikconerty » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:36 pm

I should be able to suppose a site in Albuquerque if you are interested. The state is building out their state wide system and I know the city and county of ABQ are going to utilize it soon. I'm sure all law enforcement will be encrypted. I don't know if fire will be though.

-Erik